Senior / Principal Scientist, Proteomics & Data Science – South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a senior position in our growing Data Sciences team focusing on Proteomics/Bioinformatics. The successful candidate will play a leading role developing algorithms and analytics strategies to create value from our unique data coming out our ongoing chemoproteomics platform as well as more traditional large scale data such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, phenotypic profiling. Data is at the core of everything we do at Frontier and our mass spectrometry powered chemoproteomics platform generates a lot of it and is in harmony with with Data Sciences central to our platform and project progression. The ideal candidate will focus on the development of computational methods to further advance our cutting-edge proteome-wide profiling pipeline and join drug discovery project teams in the quest to discover novel and life changing medicines. This role requires creativity and ingenuity in developing analysis methods including machine learning/AI type algorithms on our proprietary data to generate actionable insights. Given that our platform is uniqe and novel, the candidate should also cherish working in unchartered territory and be curious to find solutions where no template exists.
The ideal candidate enjoys working hand in hand with our chemical biology team, mass spectrometry experts and fellow data scientists to innovate our chemoproteomics experiments and analysis worflows and further advances our proprietary platform. This is an opportunity to play a key role in building out a team and the capability during the current growth phase of Frontier.
This is an opportunity in our Boston or South San Francisco site to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- Design and build bioinformatics/proteomics analysis workflows to lead biology and disease relevant insight generation from internal data and external databases.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of bioinformatics/proteomics and lead the internalization of promising approaches.
- Be a valuable analytics partner for our drug discovery project teams as well as provide strategic input to Frontier’s senior management.
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven.
- Communicate results, hypotheses and suggestions in a clear manner in written and oral form.
- Ph.D. in life sciences with a focus on in silico approaches (Bioinformatics, Genomics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Data Science), multiyear experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting gaining experience of omics analytics and workflows.
- Strong scripting/programming expertise and proficiency in at least one high level language (e.g. Python, Scala, Java, R or similar).
- Experience working with databases and query languages (RMDB Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift and etc.). Familiarity with non-relational databases is a plus.
- Solid algorithm development skills and good understanding of algorithm complexity
- Expert knowledge in advanced analytics and data science methods (random forest, clustering, neural networks and deep learning, Bayesian classifications, anomaly detection, dimensionality reduction and etc.) and basic statistics is required.
- Comfortable with common software development practices such as version control, containerization, unit testing, and cloud computing environments. AWS experience is a plus.
- Some familiarity with Web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Python Flask is preferred.
- Experience mentoring or managing junior scientists.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.