Scientist, Bioinformatics - Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
- Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to join an emerging Bioinformatics group embedded in our growing Data Sciences team.
- The successful candidate will play a vital role in the conceptionalization of analytical strategies and in developing novel algorithms to create value from our unique data coming out our chemoproteomics platform as well as more traditional large-scale data such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, phenotypic profiling.
- The ideal candidate has experience in the analysis of omics data and will focus on the development of computational methods to further advance our innovative proteome-wide profiling pipeline.
- This role requires creativity and ingenuity in developing analysis methods including machine learning/AI type algorithms on our proprietary data to generate actionable insights.
- Given that our platform is unique and novel, the candidate should also cherish working in unchartered territory and be curious to find solutions where no template exists.
- This is an exciting opportunity in our Boston site to use bioinformatics and data analysis skills directly to make a difference for patients suffering from debilitating diseases by work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- The successful candidate will not only closely interact with fellow data scientists but also be an integral part of multidisciplinary drug discovery teams with the goal to innovate our chemoproteomics experiments and analysis workflows and further advance our proprietary platform in the quest to discover novel and life changing medicines.
- Develop analytical strategies tailored towards the needs and goals of our specific projects.
- Design and implement novel and innovative bioinformatics workflows for the analysis of proteomics and other omics data (e.g. transcriptomics and metabolomics) to lead biology and disease relevant insight generation from internal data and external databases.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of bioinformatics/proteomics and provide support for the internalization of promising approaches.
- Be a valuable analytics partner for our drug discovery project teams.
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven.
- Communicate results, hypotheses, and suggestions in a clear manner in written and oral form.
- Ph.D. in life sciences with a focus on in silico approaches (e.g. Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Data Science or similar).
- Experience with the analysis of large-scale omics data. Familiarity with proteomics data is a plus.
- Strong scripting/programming expertise and proficiency in at least one high level language (e.g., R, Python or similar).
- Familiarity in advanced analytics and data science methods (e.g. random forest, clustering, neural networks and deep learning, Bayesian classifications, anomaly detection, dimensionality reduction etc.) and basic statistics are required.
- Experience working with databases and query languages (RMDB Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift etc.). Familiarity with non-relational databases is a plus.
- Solid algorithm development skills and good understanding of algorithm complexity
- Comfortable with common software development practices such as version control, containerization, unit testing, and cloud computing environments. AWS experience is a plus.
- Some familiarity with web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Python Flask is a plus.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.