Research Associate / Senior Research, Platform Chemistry - South San Francisco
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
We are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Research Associate / Senior Research Associate, Platform Chemistry. The ideal candidate for this position will have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Chemistry (or a related discipline, with synthetic chemistry experience), and is someone who is passionate about making an impact in drug discovery through chemical synthesis. The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s- or Master’s degree and would be capable of starting work between Sept. ’21 and Jan. ‘22.
In the titled role, one will have the opportunity to impact the expansion of Frontier’s proprietary chemistry platform and contribute to therapeutic programs throughout the organization. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to accelerate lead generation and lead optimization efforts within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with colleagues across interdisciplinary lines. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes. This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment. This position is located in South San Francisco.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Developing and executing synthetic plans and reaction development initiatives.
- Synthesizing and expanding hits into elaborated drug-like leads utilizing Frontier’s platform chemistry manifold.
- Contributing to scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings.
- Generating data for and serving as co-author on research published in peer reviewed journals and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree with 0-3 years of industry experience (Research Associate) or 3+ years of relevant synthetic or medicinal chemistry experience (Senior Research Associate) OR,
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry, or to be completed within 6 months, is required.
- New BS-level graduates must have completed at least one year of academic research with significant synthetic chemistry emphasis.
- A deep knowledge of modern synthetic and analytical techniques (air-free reactions, silica gel chromatography, NMR and mass spectroscopy) is preferred.
- Experience in retrosynthetic analysis and strong understanding of reaction mechanism is preferred.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents, and presentations is preferred. (Please include full list with your CV/resume.)
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations is required.
- This position is based in our company location in South San Francisco, CA and may require less than 5% travel.