Research Associate, Chemical Biology – South San Francisco
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate with expertise in proteomics and mass spectrometry to join the Frontier Medicines Chemical Biology group. The successful candidate will be responsible for performing chemical biology assays across a variety of disciplines and techniques to drive drug discovery. Experience with activity-based protein profiling and chemoproteomics is highly desirable.
This individual will work closely with an experienced team of interdisciplinary scientists and have regular opportunities to present findings to the project team and senior management. The candidate should have a strong desire to learn new techniques and the ability to incorporate new methodologies into their work. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, resourceful, organized, focused, curious, and enjoy working in a dynamic team environment driven to deliver quality data to enable drug discovery. This position is located in South San Francisco.
- Execute mass spectrometry-based assays for lead identification, optimization, and characterization with a high level of independence.
- Develop and execute activity-based protein profiling assays for target-engagement assessment and selectivity profiling (gel-based, proteomics, etc).
- Troubleshoot and optimize experiments to ensure generation of high-quality data.
- Routinely use automation and liquid-handlers to execute key assays.
- Analyze data and provide updates to project teams while meeting strict timelines and goals.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- B.S. or Master’s degree in Chemical Biology/Biochemistry, Cell/Molecular Biology, or related field with 2+ years industry/academic lab experience.
- Hands-on expertise with chemical biology/biochemistry techniques such as gel electrophoresis, western blot, and enzymatic digestion/lysate characterization required.
- Experience with mass spectrometry (intact protein characterization, TMT proteomics, activity-based protein profiling, etc) is highly desirable.
- Experience with liquid-handling and automation is highly desirable.
- The candidate should be driven, have a desire to work in a cross-disciplinary team, and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Excellent communication, organization, time management, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability/desire to learn new skills.
- Research Associate level will be determined based on level of experience.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.