Principal Scientist, Chemical Biology – South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Principal Scientist, Chemical Biology as part of our chemical biology team. The successful candidate will play an essential role in building our chemoproteomic platform to tackle high value but difficult to drug oncology targets and in developing our novel protein degrader technology. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders.
The Principal Scientist, Chemical Biology Scientist is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success and will be interacting with other senior leaders, including the CEO, routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments. This position is located in either South San Francisco or Boston.
- Help build our chemoproteomic platform to impact across the drug discovery pipeline.
- Design, execute, and analyze key biological experimental strategies to tackle previously undruggable drivers of disease and develop novel approaches to protein degradation, with a high level of independence and creativity.
- Design and perform key studies to determine proteome-wide interactions of irreversible small molecule modulators and targeted protein degradation technologies.
- Contribute to project teams focused on target selection, target validation, lead generation and lead optimization to enable delivery of novel drug candidates into clinical development.
- Contribute to biomarker discovery and development to build PK/PD relationships, and facilitate safety assessment and clinical development.
- Design and build out of chemical biology platform technologies
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates and provide strategic input to team/company meetings.
- Responsible for the group maintaining clear, detailed laboratory notebooks to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in a biological or chemical science (biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry, cellular biology, bioengineering, or related discipline), with at least 5 years of relevant post-graduate experience that includes experience in the biotech or pharma sectors.
- Deep scientific and technical expertise in applying chemical biology/proteomic technology to understanding drug mechanism of action and its application to drug discovery.
- Experience in oncology drug discovery and/or protein degrader technologies desired.
- Successful track record of publications in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals and presentations at relevant research meetings
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.