Head AI/ML and Cheminformatics - South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to lead and build out the AI/ML team. Frontier leverages data and AI as a core pillar of our value creation strategy, fueled by unique data coming from our R&D labs and specifically our mass spectrometry powered chemoproteomics platform machine learning has impact on everything we do. Focused on unique insight and impact creating algorithms for specific problems but also more elaborate AI systems in the medicinal chemistry & chemoproteomics area, the successful candidate will have an opportunity to significantly shape the next evolution of Frontier’s platform.
As a senior leader and department head in a fully integrated R&D drug discovery company with all disciplines under one roof, the Head of AI/ML and Cheminformatics will influence strategy and vision with other leaders going forward.
This is an exciting opportunity in our Boston or South San Francisco site to deploy AI/ML to make a difference for patients suffering from debilitating diseases by working in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments
- Provide strategic leadership for developments of AI/ML capabilities and AI driven platform elements
- Design and lead development of novel algorithms impacting existing R&D drug discovery processes as well as inventing new capabilities
- Oversee in collaboration end to end implementation of AI/ML algorithms into software products
- Design and build cheminformatics and machine learning based workflows to guide small molecule research activities
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of machine learning, advanced analytics and cheminformatics and lead the internalization of promising approaches
- MS or PhD in a Computational Science (computer science, cheminformatics, computational chemistry, chemical engineering, bioinformatics, computational biology or related discipline)
- Multiyear experience in the tech or biotech industry
- Experience delivering AI/ML powered solutions as a team leader
- Expert level experience with Python and other scripting/programming and analytics languages (Scala, Java, R or similar)
- Experience with ML/DL/Reinforcement learning, neural network architecture including CNN, RNN, GCNN, GAN including hyperparameter optimization techniques
- Comfortable with common software development practices such as version control, containerization, unit testing, and cloud computing environments. AWS experience is a plus.
- Experience with medicinal chemistry concepts, drug likeness and cheminformatics techniques such as molecular fingerprints is preferred
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.