January 8, 2020
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
Frontier Medicines is looking for an executive to drive intellectual property matters at their headquarters in South San Francisco, California. The executive will develop, implement and execute an intellectual property strategy for Frontier’s platform technologies and programs.
- Lead Frontier Medicines’ intellectual property (“IP”) strategy.
- Manage Frontier Medicines’ intellectual property IP portfolio.
- Manage discussions and negotiations regarding IP with potential investors and partners.
- Review and advise on intellectual property provisions in strategic collaboration and license agreements.
- Manage and provide legal business partner support of R&D team, including providing general legal guidance and key transaction support for R&D team.
- Work closely with R&D teams to identify patentable subject matter; draft, file and prosecute patent applications.
- Negotiate and draft research agreements.
- Analyze trademark and copyright issues.
- Provide support for in-licensing and acquisitions.
- Manage and support IP litigation and other contentious proceedings, as required, and participate in formulation of enforcement and defense strategies for lawsuits and administrative proceedings.
- Manage the IP legal budget and outside IP law firm relationships, including patent prosecution and assessment of infringement claims.
- Manage general corporate matters and transactions (based on prior experience) with an opportunity to oversee legal affairs more broadly over time.
- Serve as a member of the management team, reporting directly to the CEO.
- Ph.D. degree from an accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction and four (4) years of experience practicing intellectual property law AND Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Ten or more years of experience practicing patent or intellectual property law.
- Experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign intellectual property law relating to biotechnology at a law firm or biotechnology/pharmaceutical corporation.
- An advanced scientific degree such as a Ph.D. or Masters in chemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, or biochemistry.
- Deep experience with drafting and prosecution of small molecule (chemistry) based filings.
- Excellent analytic, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills.
- Strong management and leadership skills as well as a strong client service focus and the ability to work independently and in teams.
- Ability to work efficiently, to prioritize workflow, to meet demanding deadlines, and to manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment.
Please include a CV and detailed research summary in order to be considered for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.