November 11, 2019
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Senior Scientist Medicinal Chemistry, to join our medicinal chemistry team. This person will play a key role tackling challenging disease targets applying a variety of strategies including covalent fragment based drug discovery and the application of a novel protein degrader technology. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders. The successful candidate will drive the design and synthesis of lead compounds, contribute to the management of external chemistry activities, and bring practical leading-edge methods and synthetic tactics to Frontier Medicines discovery programs.
- Apply organic and medicinal chemistry skills in the design and synthesis of novel small molecules as potential drug candidates.
- Closely follow emerging results of biological testing, ADME characterization, and other lead profiling assays; proactively propose new strategies and new target molecules to improve key drug attributes.
- Provide valuable laboratory contributions that impact discovery project(s) through route-scouting activities leading to the efficient synthesis of high-priority target molecules and/or solving critical synthetic challenges.
- Proactively help manage external chemistry efforts, providing synthetic expertise in a collaborative fashion.
- Regularly summarize results and provide progress updates to the chemistry and cross-functional project teams.
- Contribute to the writing of patent applications, study reports, and scientific publications.
- Ph.D. in organic or medicinal chemistry with 5-10 years of relevant experience in a biotech or pharma setting.
- Demonstrated track record of patents and publications in medicinal chemistry.
- Strong drug discovery achievements at individual or team-level of delivering novel agents into clinical development.
- Ability to work with and manage multifunction teams.
- Project leadership experience is desirable.
- Extensive working knowledge of modern medicinal chemistry and drug discovery techniques (e.g., fragment and structure-based drug design, computational chemistry, multi-parametric optimization of bioactivity/physicochemical/ADME properties).
- Strong background in complex molecule synthesis and/or methods development experience with a wide range of techniques related to multi-step synthesis, purification, and spectroscopic analysis.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic; fast learner who can identify the core project challenges and expeditiously change course as required in a fast-paced organization.
- Team player who will be able to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- A commitment to excellence, maintaining detailed records and having superb data organization skills.
- Exceptional oral communication and writing skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, include a detailed research summary in order to be considered for this position.