November 13, 2020
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Frontier Medicines’ proprietary platform uses chemoproteomics – an innovative approach to chemically interrogate proteins in living systems – to discover and pharmacologically target new binding pockets (or hotspots) on proteins for the purpose of making them accessible to therapeutic intervention. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better. FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Senior Scientist Proteomics/Bioinformatics to join our growing Data Sciences team. The successful candidate will play a leading role developing algorithms and analytics strategies to support our ongoing chemoproteomics and mass spectrometry efforts. Data is at the core of everything we do at Frontier and our mass spectrometry powered chemoproteomics platform generates a lot of it! The ideal candidate will focus on the development of computational methods to further advance our cutting-edge proteome-wide profiling pipeline and join drug discovery project teams in the quest to discover novel and life changing medicines. This role requires creativity and ingenuity in developing analysis methods including machine learning/AI type algorithms on our proprietary data to generate actionable insights. We are constantly challenged with both developing analytical workflows, which we can automate and evolve into scientific applications, and performing many project specific complex data analyses.
The ideal candidate will work hand in hand with our chemical biology team and mass spectrometry experts to innovate our chemoproteomics experiments and analysis worflows to further advance our proprietary platform. This is an opportunity to build out a team and the capability during the current growth phase of Frontier.
The Proteomics scientist is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success. The position will be located in South San Francisco and will be reporting directly to the CTO. This individual will interact with other senior leaders including the CEO routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- Design and build bioinformatics and machine learning based workflows to lead biology and disease relevant insight generation from internal and external databases.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of machine learning, proteomics and bioinformatics and lead the internalization of promising approaches.
- Be a valuable analytics partner for our drug discovery project teams.
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven.
- Communicate results, hypotheses and suggestions in a clear manner in written and oral form.
- Ph.D. in life sciences with a focus on in silico approaches (Computer Science, Computational Biology, Physics, Statistics, Data Science), multiyear experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting gaining experience of proteomics analytics.
- Strong scripting/programming expertise and proficiency in at least one high level language (e.g. Python, Scala, Java, R or similar).
- Experience working with databases and query languages (RMDB Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift and etc.). Familiarity with non-relational databases is a plus.
- Solid algorithm development skills and good understanding of algorithm complexity.
- Expert knowledge in advanced analytics and data science methods (random forest, clustering, neural networks and deep learning, Bayesian classifications, anomaly detection, dimensionality reduction and etc.) and basic statistics is required.
- Comfortable with common software development practices such as version control, containerization, unit testing, and cloud computing environments. AWS experience is a plus.
- Some familiarity with Web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Python Flask is preferred.
- Familiarity with proteomic search tools such as SEQUEST, X!Tandem, Mascot, Andromeda, etc.
- Familiarity with mass spectrometry and proteomics.
- Experience mentoring or managing junior scientists.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.