August 26, 2020
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced protein biochemist to fill the position of Scientist/Senior Scientist in the Protein Sciences group. As a key member of the Protein Sciences group, the individual will be responsible for designing strategies for recombinant production of target proteins and performing protein expression, purification, and analytical characterization. The successful candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and will have regular opportunities to represent the Protein Sciences group on project teams. The position will report to the Director of Protein Sciences and is located in South San Francisco.
- Design and produce fit-for-purpose protein targets for developing biochemical and biophysical assays and supporting the structural characterization of protein-ligand complexes.
- Develop protein purification, characterization, and analytical methods for novel drug targets.
- Troubleshoot/optimize protein expression and purification protocols by identifying and implementing novel approaches.
- Participate in quality, purity, and stability assessments of intermediates and final products during purification.
- Evaluate new project ideas.
- Work with CROs that provide external gene synthesis, protein expression, and purification services to the group.
- Work closely with project teams for timely delivery of targets.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; provide updates to project teams, and present results at project team and group meetings.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. degree with 1-5 years of post-doctoral or industry experiments in biochemistry, biophysics, protein biochemistry, or related discipline. Applicants holding an M.S. degree must have 5+ years of relevant experience; those holding a B.S. degree 10+ years.
- Extensive experience in protein purification using a variety of chromatographic techniques, including IEX, HIC, SEC, and Affinity, with proficiency in using and writing methods for the AKTA FPLC systems is required.
- Broad experience in expressing recombinant proteins in a variety of expression systems is preferred.
- Experience in the use of analytical/biophysical techniques (HPLC, DLS, DSF, etc.) for assessing stability, solubility, and oligomerization status of proteins, highly desired.
- The candidate should be driven, have experience working in a cross-disciplinary team, and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments, publications, and conference presentations.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.