August 26, 2020
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced protein biochemist to fill the position of Scientist in the Protein Sciences group. As a key member of Protein Sciences group, the individual will be responsible for designing strategies for recombinant production of target proteins and performing protein expression, purification, and analytical characterization. The successful candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and will have regular opportunities to represent Protein Sciences group on project teams. The position will report to the Director of Protein Sciences and is located in South San Francisco.
- Produce fit-for-purpose protein reagents for development of biochemical and biophysical assays and structural characterization of protein-ligand complexes.
- Troubleshoot and optimize expression/purification protocols by identifying and implementing novel techniques and experimental approaches.
- Assist with overseeing protein expression/purification efforts at external CROs.
- Work closely with project teams for timely delivery of protein reagents.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; provide updates to project teams and present results at project team and group meetings.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Biophysics or a related discipline with 0 to 3 years of hands-on experience either in industry or academia.
- Broad experience in expressing recombinant proteins in a variety of expression systems, including insect cells, and modern molecular cloning techniques.
- Extensive hands-on experience in protein purification using a variety of chromatographic techniques with proficiency in using the AKTA FPLC systems.
- Experience in use of analytical/biophysical techniques (HPLC, DLS, DSF, etc.) for assessing stability, solubility, and oligomerization status of proteins.
- Experience in structural biology (X-ray crystallography, NMR, Cryo-EM) and methods for isolating and characterizing protein complexes highly desired.
- The candidate should be driven, have experience working in a cross-disciplinary team and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments, publications and conference presentations.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.