Senior / Principal Scientist, Protein Sciences - South San Francisco
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced protein biochemist to fill the position of Senior / Principal Scientist in the Protein Sciences group. As a key member of the Protein Sciences group, the individual will be responsible for designing strategies for recombinant production of target proteins and performing protein expression, purification, and analytical characterization. The successful candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and will have regular opportunities to represent the Protein Sciences group on project teams. The position will report to the Director of Protein Sciences and is located in South San Francisco.
- Design and produce fit-for-purpose protein targets for developing biochemical and biophysical assays and supporting the structural characterization of protein-ligand complexes.
- Develop protein purification, characterization, and analytical methods for novel drug targets.
- Troubleshoot/optimize protein expression and purification protocols by identifying and implementing novel approaches.
- Participate in quality, purity, and stability assessments of intermediates and final products during purification.
- Evaluate new project ideas.
- Work with CROs that provide external gene synthesis, protein expression, and purification services to the group.
- Work closely with project teams for timely delivery of targets.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; provide updates to project teams, and present results at project team and group meetings.
- Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
Ph.D. degree with at least 5 years of post-doctoral or industry experiments in biochemistry, biophysics, protein biochemistry, or related discipline.
- Extensive experience in protein purification using a variety of chromatographic techniques, including IEX, HIC, SEC, and Affinity, with proficiency in using and writing methods for the AKTA FPLC systems is required.
- Broad experience in expressing recombinant proteins in a variety of expression systems, including insect and mammalian cells
- Experience in the use of analytical/biophysical techniques (HPLC, DLS, DSF, etc.) for assessing stability, solubility, and oligomerization status of proteins, highly desired.
- The candidate should be driven, have experience working in a cross-disciplinary team, and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments, publications, and conference presentations.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.