Scientist, Bioinformatics / Proteomics – South San Francisco or Boston
About Frontier Medicines
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA, is a precision medicine company that has pioneered a powerful discovery and development platform designed to generate medicines against disease-causing proteins previously considered undruggable. We are deploying our technologies in chemoproteomics, covalent drug discovery, and machine learning to develop a pipeline of groundbreaking medicines against the most important drivers of disease. Frontier has been recognized as a Fierce 15 company and a C&EN Start-Up to Watch. Our lead program targets both the active and inactive forms of KRASG12C, a validated driver in a number of cancers that until recently has been undruggable. Our pipeline embodies our vision of boldly advancing science to defeat disease, starting with cancer.
About the Role
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Scientist Bioinformatics/Proteomics to join our growing Data Sciences team. The successful candidate will play a leading role developing algorithms and analytics strategies to support our ongoing chemoproteomics and mass spectrometry efforts. Data is at the core of everything we do at Frontier and our mass spectrometry powered chemoproteomics platform generates a lot of it! The ideal candidate will focus on the development of computational methods to further advance our cutting-edge proteome-wide profiling pipeline and join drug discovery project teams in the quest to discover novel and life changing medicines. This role requires creativity and ingenuity in developing analysis methods including machine learning/AI type algorithms on our proprietary data to generate actionable insights. We are constantly challenged with both developing analytical workflows, which we can automate and develop into scientific applications, and performing many project specific complex data analyses.
The successful candidate will be able to bridge a working understanding of the life sciences and especially small molecule drug discovery and proteomics with expert knowledge in data science. This individual will be working on our platform development and alongside scientists focusing on different areas of our drug discovery process from target selection and compound characterization to the selection of clinical candidates.
The Bioinformatics scientist is a key contributor to Frontier Medicine’s success. The position will be located in South San Francisco or Boston and will be interacting with other senior leaders including the CEO routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- Design and build bioinformatics and machine learning based workflows to lead biology and disease relevant insight generation from internal and external databases.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of machine learning, proteomics and bioinformatics and lead the internalization of promising approaches.
- Be a valuable analytics partner for our drug discovery project teams.
- Ability to work independently and be self-driven.
- Communicate results, hypotheses and suggestions in a clear manner in written and oral form.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or a highly related discipline (Computer Science, Computational Biology, Statistics, Data Science), preferably with relevant post-graduate experience or multiyear experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- Strong scripting/programming expertise and proficiency in at least one high level language (e.g. Python, Scala, Java, R or similar).
- Experience working with databases and query languages (RMDB Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift and etc.). Familiarity with non-relational databases is a plus.
- Solid algorithm development skills and good understanding of algorithm complexity.
- Expert knowledge in advanced analytics and data science methods (random forest, clustering, neural networks and deep learning, Bayesian classifications, anomaly detection, dimensionality reduction and etc.) and basic statistics is required.
- Comfortable with common software development practices such as version control, containerization, unit testing, and cloud computing environments. AWS experience is a plus.
- Some familiarity with Web development frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django or Python Flask is preferred.
- Familiarity with proteomic search tools such as SEQUEST, X!Tandem, Mascot, Andromeda, etc.
- Familiarity with mass spectrometry and proteomics is a plus.
- Experience combining and analyzing omics data from different sources including, but not restricted to, genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of computational structural biology, such as molecular dynamics, molecular docking, and protein structure prediction is a plus.
- Solid biological and disease pathology domain knowledge, cancer biology expertise is a plus.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams is preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills are required.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.