June 19, 2019
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Frontier Medicines’ proprietary platform uses chemoproteomics – an innovative approach to chemically interrogate proteins in living systems – to discover and pharmacologically target new binding pockets (or hotspots) on proteins for the purpose of making them accessible to therapeutic intervention.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a multi-talented and highly motivated IT individual to join our growing team. The successful candidate will work both hands on as well as strategic, designing the next iteration of Frontier’s IT cloud and on-premise infrastructure. There is an opportunity to grow with the company to become Head of IT.
As a data driven research company with a data intensive chemoproteomics platform at its core, Frontier has established an on-premise and cloud-based state of the art high performance computing environment. This infrastructure ensures flawless execution of data workflows, algorithms, visualization and onboarding of our ever-growing proprietary internal data. The successful candidate will not only continue to shape and design this environment and associated software suites but also maintain and adapt its layout as the needs change and evolve. In this exciting role he/she will have the opportunity to wear multiple hats, develop leadership skills and apply expertise from various disciplines. He/she will work closely with the research teams assisting in computer related tasks and develop in partnership with data scientists automation, storage and backup routines.
Our machine learning algorithms are central to everything we do at Frontier and hence the successful candidate will play an important role as a key team member with data scientists and research scientists to harness the full potential from our unique data allowing us to reshape small molecule drug discovery.
This role is key to Frontier Medicines’ success and an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments. This position and is located in South San Francisco and as the first internal full time informatics role will report directly to the CTO with an opportunity to grow a team as the company needs evolve.
- Cloud infrastructure administration including governance, usage reporting and cost control measures.
- Development, design, customization, implementation and on-going support of scientific computing environment, workflows and licensed informatics applications.
- Design, development and implementation of web based applications and security protocols.
- Design Frontier’s evolving High Performance Computing (HPC) and other informatics systems.
- Design and implement data workflows powering our discovery engines.
- Serve as a strategic and hands-on individual contributor resource.
- Oversee and guide external resources and tech partners, act as point person for IT contractor and support companies.
- B.S. or greater in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Life Sciences or a related technical field or significant experience in supporting and managing cloud-based computing platforms and applications.
- At least 5 years professional experience preferably in a healthcare/biotech.
- Knowledge of Linux, shell scripting, and programming (e.g., Python, Java, SQL).
- Working knowledge of database administration incl. data modeling concepts and maintenance preferably including big data platforms (e.g., MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, Hive, Spark).
- Strong working knowledge of mature cloud-based environments and services, provisioning and administration (e.g. AWS).
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.