May 17, 2021
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
Frontier Medicines is seeking an accomplished and experienced individual to fill the position of Head of Business Development. The Head of Business Development is responsible for establishing and leading a highly effective strategy and process to identify, assess, present, and seek agreement on opportunities for early discovery and platform stage assets that advance the company’s objective in developing medicines that drug the “undruggable” protein targets that drive human disease. This individual will also play an active role in negotiations and transactions for potential collaborations and key assets Frontier is seeking to in-license or acquire.
The successful candidate must possess sophisticated and proven business development leadership experience ideally with a mix of pharmaceutical and biotechnology, banking and/or venture capital affiliations, along with bringing a track record of effective deals. A solid understanding of the industry’s complex regulatory requirements and an absolute commitment to competing on the highest ethical level are essential. The ideal candidate will be a thought partner to R&D; someone who has a keen ability to anticipate the near-term and long-term needs of R&D.
- Develop, execute and manage Frontier’s global business development strategy.
- Lead the identification, evaluation and execution of all global business development opportunities including licensing, partnerships, alliances and/or joint ventures.
- Establish and nurture close partnerships with key internal and external stakeholders or governance groups and external not-for-profit and disease foundations.
- Identify strategic gaps in discovery, clinical, and commercial pipeline and drive alignment on priorities and operating framework.
- Monitor competitive intelligence by keeping up to date on market trends, competitors and external opportunities.
- Establish and lead cross-functional teams to develop technical, commercial and financial proposals for all new business opportunities including emerging technologies and potential assets of interest.
- Proactively seek, establish, and leverage contacts from academic institutions, venture firms, biotech/biopharma, and mid to large pharmaceutical companies to gain precompetitive insights and early access to compelling opportunities.
- Lead with authority and credibility a due diligence process for new opportunities and distill and present information to multiple audiences with appropriate business, scientific and commercial analytics to optimize decision making.
- Develop and present corporate presentations in collaboration with other senior leadership; develop, present, and manage detailed project plan for opportunities deemed of interest to the company.
This individual must possess strong leadership, collaboration and team building skills, as well as the following attributes:
- Highly developed industry, scientific/clinical and business development acumen with the ability to formulate strategies and operational plans that address the interests of the Company.
- Demonstrated history of innovative, “out of the box” thinking and natural penchant for identifying non-obvious opportunities that expand/diversify business dynamics; strong strategic agility.
- Solutions oriented mindset, with creative problem-solving skills, sound judgment and ability to anticipate potential challenges and propose alternative options to ensure successful outcomes.
- Successfully led or secured early commercial input and analyses on Clinical Candidate opportunities.
- Proven track record in building long-term relationships and a deal sheet which measurably demonstrates ability to lead a high performing search & evaluation function and contribute to successfully executing transactions.
- Highly developed understanding of biotech/biopharma dynamics and contemporary knowledge of the industry landscape.
- Track record of introducing novel/new business opportunities that are synergistic with the company’s existing operations/assets and potentially provide entry into new areas of strategic focus.
- Resourceful, strategic and analytical thinker with strong background in science/medicine and search & evaluation.
- Curious and insightful regarding emerging targets and therapeutic modalities with substantive experience serving as the lead or co-lead in a search & evaluation/business development role.
- Keen ability to apply clinical and scientific knowledge (in conjunction with R&D leadership team and other stakeholders) to present and facilitate review and consideration of new opportunities.
- Applies rigor in assessing new opportunities and effectively leads discussions with key executives to facilitate efficient review and decision making.
- Strong networks within industry, academia and the venture capital community.
- Excellent aptitude for leading and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Passionate and self-motivated to drive partnerships to a successful conclusion with a maniacal focus on patient benefit.
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred in a scientific discipline.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.