August 13, 2020
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Director of Drug Discovery, Project Management to help develop the early project portfolio. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders. The successful candidate will play a leading role in progressing our oncology projects through discovery and into clinical development. The position will report to the CSO and will be located in South San Francisco.
The Director of Drug Discovery, Project Management is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success and will be interacting with senior leaders, including the CEO, routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- The project manager role will influence several drug discovery projects/teams both internal and external.
- Partners with project team leadership, matrix team members and external partners to develop detailed research plans, to foster a high performing team, and to monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team.
- Creates and maintains integrated project timelines and prepares internal team documents.
- Facilitates efficient and effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios.
- Ensures interdependencies and impacts of all decisions are assessed and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner.
- Proactively identifies project risks, designs and implements mitigation plans balancing asset and portfolio needs.
- Leads creation of team practices and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability.
- Acts as an integrator within the Project Team, across the enterprise and with external partners to ensure alignment and connect best practices.
- Will partner with Early Development Project Management to align on interdependencies and ensure smooth project transition.
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions and with partners to assure adequate resources are applied to the project.
- Advise teams on governance expectations with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate.
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability.
- For projects in collaboration with another company, works closely to form a strong strategic alliance and advance company goals.
- MS or PhD degree in Life Sciences, Physical sciences or relevant discipline, advanced degree preferred.
- Project management or similar experience with over 12 years of relevant experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry. Familiarity with Oncology research and drug discovery and development essential.
- Breadth of scientific expertise with solid understanding of project strategy and disease content to contribute to strategic discussions.
- Leadership skills including situational leadership and ability to influence without authority.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment.
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders.
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations.
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and support scenario planning.
- Proven excellence in project management – drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost. PMP certification desirable.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.