March 2, 2021
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Frontier Medicines’ proprietary platform uses chemoproteomics – an innovative approach to chemically interrogate proteins in living systems – to discover and pharmacologically target new binding pockets (or hotspots) on proteins for the purpose of making them accessible to therapeutic intervention.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to lead the Research Informatics department and closely collaborate with the Leads for IT and Data Science, reporting directly to the CTO. This role offers the opportunity to become the Head of R&D IT as Frontier evolves to become a clinical stage company.
Frontier uses its research data and AI to drive drug discovery projects and as one of the core pillars of our value creation strategy. Fueled by unique data coming from our mass spectrometry powered chemoproteomics platform with associated automated data analysis pipelines, informatics solutions are at the heart of everything we do. Design and implementation of research data solutions are happening in close collaboration with scientists to not only capture the high-value chemoproteomics data, but all relevant assay and in-vivo data generated in our labs. With Dotmatics at the center of our data warehousing and querying platform, many customized data ETL, pipelining and analysis solutions need to be designed, tested and implemented. We are constantly thinking about automation and more efficient protocols and are embracing new ideas that challenge the status quo with the promise to improve our data solutions.
The successful candidate will lead a team of Research Informatics specialists as the senior strategic partner and point of contact for our research groups leading ideation, design and delivery of research focused tech solutions to enable critical R&D business objectives.
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the interface of IT and Science to make a difference for patients suffering from debilitating diseases and working in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- Develop and champion Research Informatics function’s strategy and effectively translate the strategy into opportunities and requirements for technology solutions. Proactively anticipate business needs to shape demand for technical solutions. Develop functional roadmaps that are aligned with Research’s strategy and priorities.
- Manage and actively participate in the informatics solutions delivery process: ideate, design and deliver creative and highly efficient data workflow solutions integrating existing and commercial platforms with customized in-house generated software.
- Maintain, and monitor delivered systems, organize training.
- Be the technical informatics liaison to Frontier’s research groups.
- Collaborate effectively with other technical departments, such as IT, Data Science and Computational Chemistry.
- Stay on top of latest developments in the field of R&D IT.
- Bs/Ms Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or advanced degree in a life science discipline with career focus on informatics and technical solutions.
- 10+ years’ experience working as an informatics professional delivering and managing projects, programs and/or portfolios with minimum 5 years in the Pharma-Biotech/Life Sciences R&D domain with a focus on supporting research business functions (e.g., biophysics, in-vitro, in-vivo, computational biology & chemistry, omics, data science and etc.).
- 10+ years’ experience implementing complex, cross-functional projects solutions with experience in software development life cycle methodologies.
- At least 3 years people management experience.
- Experience in Software Delivery Solutions, electronic Lab Notebook, AWS & Cloud Computing and analytics solutions of research data.
- Technical proficiency and strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Experienced in working with small molecule research data, proteomics, cell lines and protein data is an advantage.
- Experience managing technical vendors and external resources is required.
- Experience with the Dotmatics platform is desired.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation and integration.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.