July 30, 2019
Frontier Medicines, located in South San Francisco, CA, is a pre-clinical stage biopharmaceutical company that is pioneering breakthrough technologies to drug the “undruggable” proteome. Targeting a majority of the human proteome with small molecule drugs has been historically unsuccessful, which is one of the most critical challenges in addressing human disease. Frontier’s platform, based on proprietary chemoproteomic technologies, novel protein degradation approaches, and sophisticated machine learning algorithms, makes drugging the “undruggable” proteome finally feasible – enabling a paradigm shift in drug discovery. Our therapeutic programs are focused on some of the most important and difficult targets in human disease, starting with cancer, in order to change the lives of patients for the better.
On Sept. 23, 2019, FierceBiotech named Frontier Medicines as one of 2019’s Fierce 15 biotechnology companies. This is FierceBiotech’s 17th annual Fierce 15 selection, which recognizes the most promising private biotechnology companies in the industry.
Frontier Medicines is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Director/Associate Director, Chemical Biology to lead our newly forming chemical biology team. The successful candidate will play a leading role in building our chemoproteomic platform to tackle high value but difficult to drug oncology targets and in developing our novel protein degrader technology. The team is focused on the discovery of new medicines to treat cancers and other serious disorders. The position will report to the Chief Scientific Officer and will be located in South San Francisco.
The Director/Associate Director, Chemical Biology is a key contributor to Frontier Medicines’ success and will be interacting with senior leaders, including the CEO, routinely. This is an opportunity to join and work in a highly collaborative and energetic team in a startup environment with short communication lines across functions and departments.
- To lead the chemical biology team and build a chemoproteomic platform to impact across the drug discovery pipeline.
- To design, execute, and analyze key biological experimental strategies to tackle previously undruggable drivers of disease and develop novel approaches to protein degradation, with a high level of independence and creativity.
- Independently manage the group that will design, perform, and direct key studies to determine proteome-wide interactions of irreversible small molecule modulators and targeted protein degradation technologies.
- Contribute to project teams focused on target selection, target validation, lead generation and lead optimization to enable delivery of novel drug candidates into clinical development.
- Contribute to biomarker discovery and development to build PK/PD relationships, and facilitate safety assessment and clinical development.
- Oversee design and build out of chemical biology platform technologies.
- Effectively communicate with colleagues and stakeholders; create and present research updates and provide strategic input to team/company meetings.
- Responsible for the group maintaining clear, detailed laboratory notebooks to document all experiments and findings.
- Comply with best laboratory safety practices.
- Ph.D. in a biological or chemical science (biochemistry, biophysics, cellular biology, bioengineering, or related discipline), with at least 8 years of relevant post-graduate experience that includes experience in the biotech or pharma sectors.
- Deep scientific and technical expertise in applying chemical biology/proteomic technology to understanding drug mechanism of action and its application to drug discovery.
- Experience in oncology drug discovery and/or protein degrader technologies desired.
- Experience supervising and direct reports and managing multifunction teams.
- Successful track record of publications in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals and presentations at relevant research meetings.
- Excellent communication, organization, and technical writing skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to learn new skills.
- Ability to work with independence and drive in a startup environment.
- A commitment to excellence, including ensuring that fellow team members focus on high quality science and a professional working environment.
- Legally authorized to work in the US.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.